Hull-House is a settlement house in the United States that was co-founded in 1889 by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr. Located in the Near West Side of Chicago, Illinois, Hull-House opened its doors to the recently arrived European immigrants. By 1911, Hull-House had grown to 13 buildings. In 1912 the Hull-House complex was completed with the addition of a summer camp, the Bowen Country Club. With its innovative social, educational, and artistic programs, Hull-House became the standard bearer for the movement that had grown, by 1920, to almost 500 settlement houses nationally.